Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The one from beyond

Did you know that because Abraham lived a semi-nomadic life the locals called him a hebrew, which means a wanderer, the one from beyond? If you read chapter 6 in the Stranger book, you will see that the word righteousness is used in reference to God's perfection, that he is flawless, holy, pure, clean, totally without blemish or sin. As Aaron helped us to see on Sunday in church, we are not without blemish are we?
But like God did with Abraham, he has credited our accounts with righteousness. The word credited carries the thought of settling a monetary account through a payment. We like seeing money credited to our bank accounts don't we?

But what does the Bible mean when it says, "Abram believed the LORD, and he credited it to him as righteousness." Remember the Certificate of Death that every human has as a result of sin? You've got one too. Now, Abram believed God's promises, God placed a credit on his account. He gave Abram righteousness. I love this! Insert your name in this next part.God is saying," _Tom_, because you are trusting in me, I'm going to make an advance payment on your sin account. I'm going to place my perfection on your ledger. Now you need to understand my righteousness far exceeds your sinfulness. What I am giving you will more than offset all your sin. You can consider your sin-debt as paid. And because I am giving you my righteousness, it will not only take care of your sin-debt, but it will fully provide you with all the perfection needed to live with me in Heaven."

We know that eventually Abraham's body died, but Abraham did not experience the horrific penalty associated with the second death. He knew he would live with God in Heaven. Do you know that for certain? I hope so, it's the greatest news ever! God always tells the truth!

Remember, it is not the amount of faith you have, but in Whom you are placing your trust. Believe that the Lord is telling the truth and then act upon that belief.
That's what Abraham and Sarah did too!

No comments:

Post a Comment